With today’s economy there is no such thing as job security. We can no longer sit back and assume we are getting a paycheck. Here’s how to keep your career in tip top shape:
- Manage your career. Realize it’s your best asset and be proactive.
- Set goals for where you want to be in 6 months, 1 year, and 5 years. Create an image of where you want to be.
- Communicate with peers and supervisor regularly so you know how you’re doing. Staff evaluations shouldn’t be a surprise because you’re staying in touch with them.
- Keep up with your skills and stay competitive. You have to understand and be mindful of what your peers are doing. Know what skills they have as well and learn how to stay competitive.
- Linkedin is a great way to do this and to stay connected. You can research what peers in your industry have in terms of expertise and experience that you don’t.
- Take classes, certification programs, and learn new software. Don’t get rusty, especially with technology. Community colleges are a great resource for adult education courses.