Manpower Engineering is exclusively partnering with an industry leading and very well-respected company in the Greater Madison, WI Area on a newly created and highly visible direct hire/permanent Project Engineer - HVAC position.
This position has a hybrid work model and the company offers Summer Hours.
The company had their best year ever in 2020 will top this in 2021. Also, the company offers very strong growth potential as they've added 100 new positions over the last 2 years. Lastly, unlike many other companies this person will have the opportunity to go on the production floor and see their design being built and also go to the field and see it being put it together and collaborate with the field team.
The company is a premier provider in Wisconsin and the Midwest, with a multi-faceted team that provides a variety of services to meet the needs of their expanding and diverse customer base. The company prides itself on being a champion of both its internal and external customers; cultivating a family atmosphere that provides room for growth and professional enrichment. When you work for my client you have the opportunity to elevate your leadership skills and work with a proactive, strategic leadership team that embraces continuous improvement and innovation.
The company offers a very generous compensation plan (base salary, bonus/incentive program, and profit sharing), great benefits package, and relocation assistance (if needed).
To analyze customer needs, develop and propose recommended HVAC and related design solutions. Perform and coordinate system design for installation by project management and field construction resources.
- Respond to initial customer inquiries to investigate their HVAC needs. Discuss the specific customer requests and provide an overview of the general approach to be taken to resolve their needs. Response to customer inquiries may be with sales personnel or performed independently by the project engineer.
- Design HVAC systems for a wide variety of buildings and processes including offices, laboratories, manufacturing spaces, warehouses, etc. Designs will be performed per industry standard practice to meet the customers' needs, and per regulatory requirements. Designs in the inquiry/proposal phase will be schematic with sufficient detail to enable the labor and materials to be assessed. Designs in the contract phase will be detailed. Design activities will include heating and cooling load calculations performed on a computer program, air distribution design, boiler/chiller systems design, pump and piping design, steam system design, system choices, controls performance sequence definition, and miscellaneous components. Coordinate the schematic design and CAD drawings as necessary.
- With the assistance of the estimating staff, prepare construction cost estimates for the systems designed, including soliciting equipment quotations from vendors and use of the company's proprietary computerized estimation program to establish the labor and material cost of the jobs. Establish the price of the job by applying a profit margin as directed by the HVAC Engineer Manager.
- Prepare and present a proposal letter including the project description, scope of company performance, assumptions and estimated cost to customer. Follow-up and obtain customer commitment.
- Prepare and assemble construction drawings and arrange plan reviews as appropriate.
- Support service, refrigeration and industrial ventilation departments engineering needs as required.
- Support and maintain a safe and Lean working environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering, and/or HVAC Designer status is a plus
- 5+ years of experience
- Experience with AutoCAD and Revit (or a similar 3D software)
- Industrial HVAC design experience
- CEM (Certified Energy Manager) or similar certification, or specific energy efficiency related project experience is desirable, LEED AP accreditation
- Good computer skills including ability to work with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Aptitude and/or experience to manage design projects
- Physical ability to access job sites, including some climbing, crawling and other body movement necessary to inspect the systems