The VNOC Network Engineer I is the highest level of support in the VNOC. This role is a key member of the engineering teams, providing expert level solutions, and effectively accepting and resolving complex incidents for end users while providing excellent customer service. The Senior System Engineer could have focus on Network, or Infrastructure Incidents.
The VNOC Network Engineer I, will focus on complex issues of network connectivity of both WAN and LAN circuits and hardware. This includes troubleshooting and programing of firewalls, routers, switches, and related components. It also could include VOIP, Wireless, 3G/4G, VPN and other protocols.
All VNOC Network Engineer I will be points of escalation from the VNOC Analysts and Technical Engineers, and may be called upon to participate in discussions or customer meetings relating to Chronic, or customer escalated issues. This individual must be able to prioritize remediation of incidents and monitoring alerts in a 24 x 7 environment with critical uptime requirements. The VNOC Senior Systems Engineer may document system administration tasks and provide guidance and mentoring to other team members.
The VNOC Network Engineer I may use a variety of hardware and technologies including but not limited to:
Microsoft Windows Server
Knowledge Management Tools
Remote Monitoring Tools
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position.
- Monitor a wide variety of network systems, servers and other devices that include, but are not limited to telecommunications circuits, LAN/WAN systems, routers, switches, firewalls, VoIP systems, servers, storage, backup, operating systems and core devices and applications.
- Respond, as subject matter expert, to incidents and service requests escalated from the VNOC team members to identify, analyze and resolve network incidents, as well as respond to and open new cases or calls
- Provide timely response and resolution to incidents, outages and monitoring alerts utilizing ITSM platform, procedures and training.
- Provide local IT support to client networking devices, servers and other internal infrastructures.
- Provide installation and desktop support (when required) to users
- Document configurations, solutions and other operational and support information.
- Perform and Document Root Cause Analysis.
- Manage escalations and provide appropriate guidance and leadership to both VNOC and clients to an appropriate resolution.
- Conduct and participate in all applicable customer meetings to discuss chronic support issues
- Work closely with appropriate teams to ensure proper SLA's are met
- Assists in knowledge sharing within the team, and create and/or update knowledge base articles.
- Support multiple technical teams in 24 x 7 environment operational environments with high uptime requirements. Varied shift schedules may include day, evening or night hours
- Mentor and provide knowledge transfer to less experienced staff
- Perform all technical support in a highly professional and service oriented manner
- Perform other duties as needed, and as directed by supervisor.
Some Duties of the Systems Network Engineer may include:
- Identify and diagnose simple to mid-level of complexity incidents and factors affecting network or infrastructure performance.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical support issues via telephone for our customers utilizing xDSL, Cable, Fiber, 3G/4G, Wireless, ISDN and VPN technologies
- Coordinate with CLEC's, ILEC's and ISP's to resolve issues
- Configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain devices such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems, switches, and routers to optimize performance and ensure security standards are maintained.
- Production and configuration of router, server and network equipment (New Installs, RMA's, etc.)
- Wireless infrastructure support and maintenance to include Controllers and Access Points.
- Implement and document Changes and Service Requests as defined in change management processes and procedures.