The Industrial Director is a member of the global operation leadership team of the Company. This role helps to define and implement the company's industrial strategy and ensures products are in compliance with regulations, quality requirements, costs and timelines expected by executive plans. The Industrial Director is also responsible for continuous improvement within the Product Organization.
A Product Organization (PO) is a pool of resources and center of excellence for a specific range of technologies and capabilities. The Industrial Director develops, plans, and implements transformational and continuous improvement strategies of the Product Organization.
The Industrial Director is directly responsible for engineering and manufacturing activities. The position works in a matrix mode with representatives of the global functions dedicated to the PO (notably portfolio, supply chain, and project management) in order to align strategic orientations and ensure their proper execution within the PO. This position also relies on transversal business partner functions which do not report to the position, but which support the goals of the PO: Human Resources, Finance, IT and Quality Management. This position will also work on larger transversal projects.
The mission of the Industrial Director is to plan, execute, manage and control operational activities and lean framework, and assess and control risks in order to optimize value creation through product engineering, manufacturing, lifecycle management, and supply chain processes. The position is in charge of the proper allocation and optimized use of resources in order to improve the value creation, the factory financial output and its P&L, and to ensure the successful management and implementation of business improvement projects and initiatives across the PO. In order to be successful in these missions, this individual will develop and maintain a motivated and flexible team and build strong working relationships within the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and development
- Plan for the creation and implementation of the PO's capability system, from gap assessment to building expertise, lean vision, strategies, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance of the PO
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects utilizing the PO's unique capabilities
Lifecycle management of product lines
- Develop a portfolio of products that suits the PO's current and/or targeted field of expertise and meets customer needs (specified by portfolio executive)
- Support portfolio team by building and adhering to detailed business cases, development plans, and deadlines for product lines
- Work jointly with transversal innovation teams to prepare the future of product lines by planning for integration of technical innovations in product development
- Develop manufacturing processes for product lines based on industrial platforms and modular designed components, developed with mutualization of technical components and efficient manufacturability with our supporting capabilities (plastic, fabricated components) in mind, and allowing versioning of products at lower development, manufacturing, and lifecycle costs.
- Propose technical resources, tools and related processes to support product lines and build up and support workflows between PO, Market Organizations (MOs), channel partners and customers
- Plan product lifecycle, evolutions, obsolescence management and market retirement with portfolio.
Manage Manufacturing Operations
- Deliver products to customers in required quantities by establishing production forecasts with global supply chain, and delivering to expectations
- Allocate and organize resources (human, financial and technical) to secure manufacturing of products in order to fulfill customer requests through an established capability system for which the position will seek excellence
- Work with finance and HR business partners to establish and follow the metrics related to the operating expenses, capital expenses and asset value
- Develop and maintain lean manufacturing best practices, continuous improvement strategies and look at improving efficiency of resources
- Digitalize the production tools to align the PO with the digital strategy of the company
- Implement and support cultural change across the PO and drive business improvements
- Work with the Quality BP on the best definition and application of quality procedures (quality control, tests and validation) and quality systems, in order to deliver products that comply with expected quality standards, including ISO
- Report on the progress, risks, dependencies, budget, resource issues and critical milestones of projects, as well as actions necessary to ensure success.
- Define, develop and publish processes and documentation to reflect best practices.
Support excellence in project management
- Maintain a project list (product development, continuous improvement, other entity projects and other transversal company-wide projects) validated by SVP Global Operations and other supporting executive resources, and work with global project management to ensure their proper execution and their priority level
- Secure the availability of resources for proper execution of projects and continuously work toward their success
Represent Gilson within the PO
- Share and promote the corporate goals, executive directions, and Global Operations goals within the PO
- Ensure the promotion and comprehension of corporate messages in the PO and promote integration of the PO into the Company workflow
- Coordinate projects and collaborative efforts among the Gilson entities
Represent the PO within the Global Gilson Organization
- Represent the PO within the Global Operations leadership team and in the various global and transversal managerial activities as required
- Promote the capabilities of the PO within the company and be proactive in offering resources for transversal projects
Target performance and optimization of the PO
- Define own targets and pursue targets defined by SVP Global Operations. Follow the metrics and KPIs necessary to evaluate the performance of the entity and the conformity to the plans.
- Guarantee the quality of the industrial activities (product quality, processes, environmental management...) and define a continuous improvement activity plan in partnership with global quality business partner
- Contribute to positive P&L of the PO, focusing on resource costs and efficiency, generating products with high market demand, delivering requested volumes.
- Propose and lead the yearly investment plans through definition of requirements, suppliers and vendors sourcing, preparation of business cases and investment requests, in collaboration with finance business partner
- Master's degree in mechanical engineering, manufacturing or supply chain
- Ten (10) years of functional or technical experience, at least five (5) of which include management experience leading a product manufacturing organization,
- Experience working in an environment of multi-national vertically integrated entities, from manufacturing to sales, with matrix organizations
- Proficiency in fabrication technologies and related processes, assembly of low to mid volume highly technical products: stand-alone products and systems
- Proficiency in supply chain management, from procurement to production forecasting, plan to manufacturing and logistics
- Proficiency in manufacturing engineering and product lifecycle management and obsolescence management
- Experience with product development processes, from conception to product retirement
- Proficiency in lean manufacturing and related best practices and processes
- Proficiency in business practices, including standard business operations and procedures including Manufacturing, Accounting, Budgeting and Performance Management, Purchasing, Human Resources, Payroll, Sales and Service in a multi-national company environment
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with Information Technology and related applications
- Proficiency in planning and managing large development projects and managing in-house resources and contracted services
- Proven track record of leadership and management of manufacturing entities
- Experience in integration of technologies through mergers and acquisitions
- Proven track record of successful ISO accreditations for industrial and environmental standards
SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE
- Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented, problem solving skills, and the ability to identify and implement process improvement initiatives
- Proven experience to multitask and manage multiple competing priorities within project timelines and deliverables
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with people having a wide range of skills and experience including business leaders, peers, staff and vendors and people from different cultural backgrounds and located globally
- Ability to work with multi-national stakeholders and adapt to local cultural specifics
- Ability to communicate vision and motivate people to implement vision
- Strong customer service orientation and willingness to collaborate across the organization to drive key critical decisions and resolve complex problems
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, at all levels within the organization.
- Commercially and financially aware
- Valid driving license and satisfactory driving record
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time, including international travel Valid passport
Gilson, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristic protected by law