- Job Title
- Job #
- Requisition Type
- Posting Start Date
Spectrum Brands' Home & Personal Care (HPC) Appliances business participates on a global basis in small electric appliances, shave/groom appliances and beauty appliances. Our well- known brands include George Foreman, Black+Decker, Farberware, Breadman, Juiceman, Russell Hobbs and Remington. Our products appeal to consumer trends for healthy eating, stay-at-home cooking, creating today's new hair style and much more. We distinguish our product offerings from the competition by employing forward thinking, innovative technologies matched with a strong understanding of consumer needs to bring to market high quality, superior products that delight the end user.
This position will support the development of new products and platform technologies that will have significant impact on the competitiveness of the Home & Personal Care division and the success of new product initiatives with regards to cost, performance, supply chain simplification, and competitiveness.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with the development efforts of appliances in terms of product design, development, prototyping, and performance measurement & verification.
- This is a hands-on position that requires strong communication, organizational, interpersonal, & analytical skills.
- Mechanical design utilizing CAD (SolidWorks).
- Mechanical design to include Proof of Concept, Alpha, & Beta prototype fabrication & performance verification.
- Evaluate project feasibility and alternatives. Establish technical justification, objectives, specifications and timetable.
- Design, develop, & verify new products and concepts including Performance Capability, Product reliability, & Manufacturing validation.
- Apply key NPD tools and analysis methodology throughout the product development and verification process. (FMEA, Weibull, FEA, DFM, DFMA, Rapid prototyping, CAD, & Stage Gate process).
- Work closely with suppliers, vendors, and outside consulting firms during the new product development process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Profile
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 0-2 years Engineering experience preferred
- Strong understanding of product development & design related to materials applications, failure analysis, materials characterization, and mechanical testing.
- Self driven hands on, with good communication skills.
- The ability to leverage the technical resources of our suppliers & other external sources.
- Ability to travel in support of product launches as well as technical problem solving, and analysis is required.
- Must be able to work in a team environment, including cross-functional teams, and exert influence without alienating others.
- Strong problem-solving ability.
- The ability to quickly understand scope and constraints of a problem and to develop solutions that meet timing, cost, business requirements and consumer needs.
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas, processes, and technical requirements through effective written, graphic, and oral methods.
- Demonstrated skills and methods of working with a wide variety of functional organizations to balance the Marketing desires with technology capabilities and product costs.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks/projects and manage priorities accordingly.
- Basic understanding of Lean, Kaizen, & Design for Manufacturing principles a plus.
- Basic understanding of reliability prediction methods and understanding of product requirements.
- Positive attitude with strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.