This Engineering position will be held accountable for building, solving, and developing powertrain and chassis finite element models for evaluating performance and simulating systems and components in support of lab tests, proving ground responses and design exploration. In addition, the Sr System Engineer will be responsible for further developing methods used for the optimization of powertrain and chassis structures. The engineer’s work will be delivered on time per H-D’s Project Management Methodology (MX) and build requirements. Domestic travel may be required through the life of the projects that this role supports.
• Support new product, current product and innovation teams with analysis results and interpretation to aid in the design of motorcycles by independently building efficient, detailed, powertrain and chassis CAE models from the ground up.
• Perform various continuous improvement activities such as correlating CAE models to test results, automating powertrain analysis processes, and steering design teams with optimization-driven techniques.
• Inform vehicle, system, and component powertrain and chassis performance requirements, design actions (DFMEA), and test plans (DVP&R).
• Explore technical solutions and present recommendations to achieve requirements.
• Work to resolve technical issues by applying problem-solving techniques and facilitating cross-functional engineering and test support as needed.
• Document simulation methods, results, and design improvement suggestions for engineers and engineering managers
• This position requires a B.S. in Engineering or a related field.
• Minimum 5 years of powertrain/chassis development engineering experience
• Expertise in statics, dynamics, solid mechanics, engineering materials, and finite element theory, including experience with topology optimization
• Track record of using CAE for solving powertrain/chassis development problems involving various materials (steel, aluminum, magnesium, zinc, plastics, elastomers), processes (castings, forgings, stampings, extrusions, weldments, plastic injection molded components) to influence, steer, and optimize designs that have resulted in successful product launches
• Working knowledge of structural analysis & explicit dynamic software. HyperMesh, LS-Dyna, & ABAQUS, preferred. Experience using Inspire, Optistruct, Simlab, nCode, Isight, Mode Frontier, and TOSCA would be beneficial
• Demonstrated experience simplifying, meshing, and assembling complex part geometries into large finite element assemblies for use in powertrain simulations as well as the ability to efficiently reduce & summarize simulation and test data for purposes of design comparisons, correlation, reports, and updates
• Utilization of project management tools and principles (in topics such as requirements, timelines, risks and issues, and quality metrics) in a product development environment and the ability to attend design reviews to provide input to the design process
• Demonstrated ability to communicate technical subjects in a clear concise manner to a range of audiences throughout the organization